Sunday, March 2, 2014

Oh boy. Oh boy. The Surprising Reveal.

I never thought  I would want to create a blog, but I have realized that the longer I have been pregnant, the less and less I can remember things. I want to have a record of my pregnancy so that I don't forget all of this someday when my kids actually might want to know. Thought about a journal but didn't think hand cramps on top of body aches and sickness and exhaustion would encourage too much writing. Even if no one actually reads my blog, I'm just hoping that it can one day be enjoyed by the Mueller children. So, here we go...

On Wednesday, February 26th, Josh and I took off a half day of work to attend our first ultrasound to see if Baby Mueller was a girl or a boy. The previous week waiting for the appointment was torture in itself because we hadn't had even one ultrasound. I was anxious to be able to just see the baby and make sure it was, in fact, a baby...and not a dinosaur or dog or something. Around the 10 week mark, our doctor let Josh and I hear the heartbeat of the baby. I told the doctor that my older sister had twins and how she didn't find out until her ultrasound, and I asked him to make sure he didn't hear two heartbeats in my belly. He asked, "You don't want twins do you?" Of course, I said no but that I was just nervous about it. He laughed, said he only heard one, and removed the device after only hearing our baby's heartbeat for less than 30 seconds.

At my next appointment around 14 weeks, he again let me hear the baby's heartbeat and only noticed one. He talked about scheduling my first ultrasound around 19 weeks. Having seen multiple pregnant friends bragging about their ultrasounds around 8 to 9 weeks and again around 15 or 16 weeks, I asked him if he was sure that I would have to wait that long for my first ultrasound. He told me that he liked waiting until the 19 week mark so that everything was more clearly developed and viewable in the ultrasound. Although I wanted to argue with him and unleash my pregnancy hormones on him to let me have an ultrasound earlier, I bit my tongue figuring that I probably couldn't win against a professional OBGYN. So, we waited.

Josh and I had planned on eating a nice celebratory lunch prior to our ultrasound, but of course, I worked past the time I had originally planned which left only about 30 minutes for lunch. So, McAlister's it was as it's located right next to the doctor's office. By the time we got our food, we had about 15 minutes to enjoy it so I scarfed it down and immediately felt sick. My stomach, for the second time, had this intense stretching feeling and pressure. After a few minutes, it calmed down and we headed over to the doctor's office.

This is our "oh my gosh we're having twins selfie"
The ultrasound tech was sitting behind the receptionist and didn't even let us sit down before we were taken back to the ultrasound room. We sat down, she explained the process, and plopped some warm gloop on my stomach. She laid the scanner thing (not sure of its technical name) on my stomach. Josh and I had our eyes glued to the screen with anticipation. Umm...wait a sec. What the...





Baby A and Baby B
The ultrasound tech ( I think her name was Amanda but due to circumstances I can't remember too many details) looked at the screen and then to us and said something to the effect of "So...umm...guess what?" Before she could even speak, Josh and I looked at each other and said, "Shut Up". She then said, "I had a feeling that you were carrying twins when I saw you walking in here." The next few minutes consisted of me going into a panic attack of laughter and Josh saying "Oh my gosh" "No way" "This is crazy" through smiles and teary eyes. I think I apologized to the ultrasound tech about 5 times during my laughter fit. I literally couldn't stop laughing. My mind was in literal shock. I had dreams about having twins, but I had convinced myself that it would be impossible for two sisters to both have twins. Plus, why didn't our doctor catch the other heartbeat before?? The next hour of the ultrasound were filled with questions, tears, smiling, laughing, and more shock. The ultrasound tech was so sweet about everything we asked and said. Thank God for her patience as we couldn't really focus. The ultrasound revealed TWO identical boys...which seems even more crazy since that is what my sister had in June of 2013. The ultrasound also revealed that they appeared completely healthy, had all of their limbs, and weighed 12 ounces each. I shed some tears just knowing that they were healthy. It is a scary feeling not knowing if the human you are growing inside of you is healthy up until that point. My due date was pushed up a week from July 22nd to July 14th (as the previous due date was a guess and the measurements showed 20 weeks and 2 days instead of the guessed 19 weeks).  So much news in such a short period of time.

The first calls we made were of course to our family members. Moms first. Every single family member we told had a similar response along the line of "What? Is this a joke? Are you playing a prank on us?". Then, after we convinced them that we were being honest, a scream or shout of disbelief followed. lol. We swung by Target and picked up 2 baby boys outfits so we can go show the news to my sister and my nephew. We placed the two outfits in a bag and made it appear that there was only one. My nephew Thomas pulled out one of the outfits and said "oh a boy" and then got up from his chair. My sister said something to the effect of "I'm sorry I know this is dumb, but I'm just paranoid and have to make sure there's not another outfit in the bag because you know..with me there was." She peeked in the bag and didn't see anything and acted relieved. Josh and I stared back at her and back to the bag. She looked back in the bag and, seeing the 2nd oufit, shrieked in disbelief. This photo was taken while she was pacing around the room and having trouble breathing. ha. Josh and spent the night notifying friends, family, and of course, Facebook. The response was pretty overwhelming but made us a little more happy about our news. The shock still hasn't worn off, but thanks to Pinterest and prayers, we're starting to get on to the excitement stage.
Josh showing the ultrasound pics to nephew Thomas and my sister Ashley

Welp. That's all I got for this post...mostly because I'm exhausted and might pass out at any second.


1 comment: